How to take part
The Forest of Dean provides a mixture of nature and living scapes to inspire any artist.
Art in a Day – Forest of Dean sets you the challenge of creating an artwork based on a scene in the Forest of Dean in just one a day. Your finished picture will be hung at the Art in a Day – Forest of Dean selling exhibition and your artwork will be entered into our prize winning competition.
You choose your subject and how you draw or paint it. Oils, watercolours, acrylic, drawing, pastels, pen and ink and other mediums – all are welcomed.
Taking part involves six simple steps:
1. Buy an artist’s pass It costs £21.83 (£11.21 concessions). The Pass covers all the costs of taking part, including:
- Taking part in the Painting Day – July 15th. 2017.
- The guarantee that your finished work will be hung at the Art in a Day – Forest of Dean exhibition held at Artspace, The New Mercury, 3 Woodside Street, Cinderford,
Gloucestershire, GL14 2NL from the evening of July 15th to July 21st.
- The opportunity to sell your picture in the exhibition and receive 80% of the sale price.
- Being a contender to win a prize.
- Entry to the artists’ Private View prior to the exhibition opening to the public.
- Complimentary tickets to the exhibition for your friends, family and network.
2. Creative preparation If possible visit the area ahead of the event. This will help you decide where to paint. Where to Create.
3. Painting Day Saturday, July 15th, 2017.
Artists should come to Artspace at The New Mercury, 3 Woodside Street, Cinderford,
Gloucestershire, GL14 2NL between 9.00am and 11.00am to sign-in, bringing with you:
- A printout of your Artist’s Pass.
- Any canvases, boards, paper or other material you will be working on. We will stamp them all with the Artspace logo. Please note that all materials must be blank but we will accept blank canvasses that have been primed for painting.
- Your phone number or e-mail address. This is needed so we can let you know if your artwork is sold.
- Your address. This is needed so we can send you a Cheque if your picture is sold in the public exhibition and sale. You will receive 80% percent of the sale price. Payments will be made by the end of July 2017. We will provide a registration form for you to fill in these and other details (the title of artwork, price etc).
- If you have purchased a concessionary ticket, then you will need to bring evidence of your entitlement. See our FAQ page for more details.
After registration artists may go off to enjoy creating their picture but must return with the finished artwork by 4.30 p.m. as we close check-in at 5:00 p.m. With the picture, you should give us your completed registration form including the title of your work, and the price at which you wish to offer it for sale.
4. Hanging. If appropriate, you should mount and frame your picture. We provide frame storage space (at your own risk) while you’re out painting, plus desks for framing on. You must attach a wire or cord to it before you check it in, as we can’t do this for you and it must be ready to hang on hooks when you give it to us.
We will hang all the pictures ready for the opening of the exhibition at 7.30 p.m. Please note that we can’t be responsible for any damage that may occur through hanging is your painting is still wet but we do try our best to look after them all.
All pictures must be offered for sale.
5. Exhibition and sale Saturday, July 15th – July 21st, 2017 Artspace at The New Mercury, 3 Woodside Street, Cinderford, Gloucestershire, GL14 2NL.
Private View – 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 15th. Please bring your Artist’s Pass, as this entitles you to come into the private view.
Public Exhibition – July 15th, 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. and July 17th to July 21st, 9:30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Prizes – The Prizes will be announced at 7:45 p.m. on July 15th.
6. After the exhibition. All unsold works will be available for the artists to pick up during Artspace opening hours Monday – Friday 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. from Monday, July 24th to Thursday, August 3rd. Any work not collected by Thursday, August 3rd, 5:00 p.m. will be donated to charity.
If you wish, you can authorise us to provide your contact details on the registration form to the buyer of your painting. We cannot give you contact details of the buyers.